Monday, August 22, 2016

DIY solder smoke absorber

Hi! As you could note my hobby is electronics =) So solder station is my frequently used tool. Long time I've used it without smoke absorber. I think that it is really useful thing =) I had a choice: buy it or make it. Of course, the simplest way is to buy, but I'm not looking for simple ways).
So I've decided to make something like this:


Update: Device is complete =)




Needed parts:

  • Piece of 120mm plastic tube
  • Fan from PC power supply (12V, 0.68A)
  • Filter (smoke absorber)
  • Holder (from table lamp)
The only thing I've bought is a table lamp. I found a cheap (less 6$) lamp with some defects in a discount shop.


Making of:

Fit cooler fan to tube



Add absorber filter



Fan test video



Adding a switch =)


Mechanics testing

Plastic holder part was broken, so that's a replacement =)


Adding a light

I've used a piece of aluminium heatsink for LED strips and two pieces of high brightness LED strip.




All plastic parts were cleaned and painted to black.

For better perfomance I've made some kind of air deflector. Grill is needed, because filter is bent and cooler stops.


Cooler part is ready


Now I put all parts together


 Device is ready. Gaps between cooler fan case and filter are closed with self-adhesive seal for plastic windows (not shown here).


12V for fan and light is taken from my lab PSU.

No comments:

Post a Comment